NRI Worldwide > Showbiz
Honey Singh booked for obscene song lyrics
Report dated 18/05/2013 @ 12:52 PM
The Punjab and Haryana High Court has had a case registered against rapper Honey Singh for a section under the Indian Penal Code that covers singing, reciting or uttering obscene songs, ballads or words in or near a public place. Singh's songs were based on sexual themes and innuendos.
The Court said singers like him should be boycotted as his songs are disrespectful to women. One particular lyric of his song translated into English says 'I am a Rapist'. Singh however claimed he only performed the song but had not written the lyrics.
A volunteer organisation called HELP had filed a police complaint against Singh and some others in January but no action was taken against them till the high court stepped in.
Bollywood and Bachchan shine at Cannes Film Festival
Report dated 17/05/2013 @ 1:01 PM
At the opening ceremony of the 66th Cannes Film Festival Amitabh Bachchan made a speech in Hindi after which he and Leonardo DiCaprio declared the festival officially open.
Also on the Cannes red carpet was Vidya Balan, a jury member, who turned up wearing a lehenga-choli.
Also attending the opening screening that kicked off with Baz Luhrman's 'The Great Gatsby', were Sonam Kapoor and Mallika Sherawat.
Shah Rukh Khan charges $15,000 just to appear at weddings !
Report dated 13/05/2013 @ 6:58 PM
Shah Rukh Khan charges $15,000 for an appearance at high-profile weddings, and close to Rs.8 crore for a performance at the wedding.
Sources say Rs. 8 crore is the amount he was paid for a 30-minute performance at the wedding of the daughter of Ahmed Hashem Khoory and Mariam Othman at Dubai's Madinat Jumeirah Hotel.
It is said he commands these prices with ease, but the problem is getting him to perform as he is so busy he will only perform for people he knows personally, or through someone he personally interacts with.
Shah Rukh received some 250 invitations for wedding appearances/performances last year but took on just 10 of them.
Sanjay Dutt has to go back to jail
Report dated 11/05/2013 @ 12:54 PM
A Bench of justices of the Supreme Court have refused to review its verdict on Sanjay Dutt's plea, making it mandatory that Dutt surrender to jail authorities on May 16 to serve out his five year jail term connected to his conviction in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
The apex court said the nature of his offence was serious.
The Bench also dismissed similar pleas filed by six other convicts in the case, Yusuf Mohsin Nulwalla, Khalil Ahmed Sayed Ali Nazir, Mohamed Dawood Yusuf Khan, Shaikh Asif Yusuf, Muzzammil Umar Kadri and Mohd Ahmed Shaikh.
Sanjay Dutt : Bollywood betrayed me !
Report dated 08/05/2013 @ 2:22 PM
Sanjay Dutt who has to surrender May 18 for his conviction of illegal possession of arms says he did not charge a penny for 30 days work and has been betrayed by Bollywood, because unlike what co-stars said, he was not cooling his heels at home, instead was in the studios shooting just to save them from a financial crisis.
With a few days left for his surrender Dutt is busy completing pending work and a shoot of a song for T P Agarwal's Policegiri, as well as shooting and dubing for Apoorva Lakhia's Zanjeer and a cameo in his home production Hasmukh Fisal Gaya.
Director Mahesh Bhatt, a pillar of support for Dutt agrees with his statement saying "Gratitude does not exist in planet Bollywood. Contrary to what the world believes, Sanjay is a fiercely lonely man today.