NRI couple dies of carbon monoxide poisoning in Philadelphia

pennsylvania-philadelphiaM.A. Kuruvila a retired Mechanical Engineer and his wife Leelamma, 77, a retired nurse, who are natives of Manarcad in Kottayam, have died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning at their home in North-East Philadelphia. They have been living in the US for the past 40 years.

Police say the couple may have died after inhaling Carbon Monoxide released from their car’s air conditioner. The car was parked underground when the incident occurred.

Kuruvila used to start the car and keep the engines running for one hour every week. Police assume he may have forgotten to turn off the vehicle leading to the air conditioner exploding. He was undergoing treatment for memory loss at the time.

The incident came to light when their daughter visited the house since her parents did not answer repeated phone calls. Kuruvila’s body was found lying on the bed and Leelamma was in sitting position in another room.

They are survived by children Suja, Latha, and Saju.